Embarrassingly late, but finally at large, it’s this week’s Things review. As always we were flattered by the nice bits and pieces that made their way into the new studio, thanks to everyone who sent something in, even if your work didn’t quite make it to the article.
Off Modern Tom Harrad, William Lombard Hunt, Yuri Pattison, Felix L. Petty and Johnny Pinchard
I genuinely didn’t care what’s inside this beautiful little guy it looked so good as I peeled it from its envelope. Luckily the content (art writing, fiction, theory, illustration, collage and photography) is as good as its packaging and I urge you to make your hands and eyes happy and pick up a copy.
Chinook Winds and We Are The World By Simon Howell and Brian Paul Lamotte, Published by Pau Wau Publications
Mmmm-hmmm. When we interviewed the guys over at Pau Wau earlier in the year it was clear that their publications were going to be pretty special. And on the evidence of this great set of photos by Simon Howell and tribute to the King of Pop by Brian Paul Lamotte we weren’t wrong. Can you put a price on attention to detail and making a special piece of print? No, they don’t think so either.
Vending Machines, Coined Consumerism By Christopher D Salyers. Published by Mark Batty Publisher, New York
If you like vending machines, you’ll like this book as that’s plainly and simply what it’s about. Nothing more, nothing less. You never can shake off the excitement of crunching the wheel round 180 degrees to watch a ball of bubblegum spiral to its destiny, and this is a celebration of that very feeling.
Project 10 Design and Art Direction by Steve Price, Edited by Claire Selby
Ten projects, ten collaborations, ten months, ten NGOs. It begins here for art director Steve Price.
Bonnie O’Hare’s Cards By Bonnie O’Hare
Great set of greetings cards… ‘nuff sed’, and her site will be up soon.
- Graphic designer Cecilia Serafini uses typography with vibrant panache
- London-based Osheyi Adebayo references his childhood in his retro graphic design
- Tristan Pigott paints “real contemporaries” in upcoming solo exhibition, Juicy Bits
- “The great thing about this book is you don’t have to read it”: sculptor Wilfrid Wood on his favourite books
- The return of the hovering art director: Nejc Prah visualises a day in the life of four art directors
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris