Embarrassingly late, but finally at large, it’s this week’s Things review. As always we were flattered by the nice bits and pieces that made their way into the new studio, thanks to everyone who sent something in, even if your work didn’t quite make it to the article.
Off Modern Tom Harrad, William Lombard Hunt, Yuri Pattison, Felix L. Petty and Johnny Pinchard
I genuinely didn’t care what’s inside this beautiful little guy it looked so good as I peeled it from its envelope. Luckily the content (art writing, fiction, theory, illustration, collage and photography) is as good as its packaging and I urge you to make your hands and eyes happy and pick up a copy.
Chinook Winds and We Are The World By Simon Howell and Brian Paul Lamotte, Published by Pau Wau Publications
Mmmm-hmmm. When we interviewed the guys over at Pau Wau earlier in the year it was clear that their publications were going to be pretty special. And on the evidence of this great set of photos by Simon Howell and tribute to the King of Pop by Brian Paul Lamotte we weren’t wrong. Can you put a price on attention to detail and making a special piece of print? No, they don’t think so either.
Vending Machines, Coined Consumerism By Christopher D Salyers. Published by Mark Batty Publisher, New York
If you like vending machines, you’ll like this book as that’s plainly and simply what it’s about. Nothing more, nothing less. You never can shake off the excitement of crunching the wheel round 180 degrees to watch a ball of bubblegum spiral to its destiny, and this is a celebration of that very feeling.
Project 10 Design and Art Direction by Steve Price, Edited by Claire Selby
Ten projects, ten collaborations, ten months, ten NGOs. It begins here for art director Steve Price.
Bonnie O’Hare’s Cards By Bonnie O’Hare
Great set of greetings cards… ‘nuff sed’, and her site will be up soon.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs