Embarrassingly late, but finally at large, it’s this week’s Things review. As always we were flattered by the nice bits and pieces that made their way into the new studio, thanks to everyone who sent something in, even if your work didn’t quite make it to the article.
Off Modern Tom Harrad, William Lombard Hunt, Yuri Pattison, Felix L. Petty and Johnny Pinchard
I genuinely didn’t care what’s inside this beautiful little guy it looked so good as I peeled it from its envelope. Luckily the content (art writing, fiction, theory, illustration, collage and photography) is as good as its packaging and I urge you to make your hands and eyes happy and pick up a copy.
Chinook Winds and We Are The World By Simon Howell and Brian Paul Lamotte, Published by Pau Wau Publications
Mmmm-hmmm. When we interviewed the guys over at Pau Wau earlier in the year it was clear that their publications were going to be pretty special. And on the evidence of this great set of photos by Simon Howell and tribute to the King of Pop by Brian Paul Lamotte we weren’t wrong. Can you put a price on attention to detail and making a special piece of print? No, they don’t think so either.
Vending Machines, Coined Consumerism By Christopher D Salyers. Published by Mark Batty Publisher, New York
If you like vending machines, you’ll like this book as that’s plainly and simply what it’s about. Nothing more, nothing less. You never can shake off the excitement of crunching the wheel round 180 degrees to watch a ball of bubblegum spiral to its destiny, and this is a celebration of that very feeling.
Project 10 Design and Art Direction by Steve Price, Edited by Claire Selby
Ten projects, ten collaborations, ten months, ten NGOs. It begins here for art director Steve Price.
Bonnie O’Hare’s Cards By Bonnie O’Hare
Great set of greetings cards… ‘nuff sed’, and her site will be up soon.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design