Printed magazines appeal most readily to the senses of sight and touch, sound can play a minor role according to the crispness and weight of the paper, and tasting the pages is generally best avoided, however mouth-watering the photography. Until now, though, smell has been rather overlooked.
Yes, uncoated paper can absorb large amounts of ink that give a new magazine a heavy smell that appeals to some, including me, and the scent samples in women’s titles lend them a coarse over-sweet smell. But these are incidental.
Every issue of Berlin-based mono.kultur carries an interview with and samples of one person’s art or design work, and each time the form of the magazine changes. Their latest issue, out this month, carries the work of Norwegian smell artist Sissel Tolaas.
She has used inks impregnated with odours throughout the magazine to make it literally stink – rub the pages and the smells she has created are released. I haven’t had my nose on a copy yet but the publisher warns the smells won’t be pleasant, meaning something a little stronger than a fragrance sample I assume.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations