As always, a quick highlight of five things that worked their way in the studio in the last seven days. If you would like anything considered for the weekly feature then please send them through to It’s Nice That, 95a Rivington Street, London EC2A 3AY.
For now though, this week’s things…
D&AD New Blood Poster NB Studio
Here’s a concept: suggest that this year’s influx of graduates will force older ‘creatives’ into considering ‘packing it all in’; photograph well-known ‘creatives’ driven to the point of suicide; print the images at A1. Sick, in some sort of brilliant way.
Gypsé Eyes is a zine consisting of poetry/stories written by Tyler Lafreniere. It comes with free badges. The content varies in focus. One of the stories is called Me, My Mum and the Sex Store.
Milly Freeman sent us a print, book and business card. Someone said “colourful” when the package was first opened. The print is probably our favourite item because it works no matter which way up you turn it.
Be Brave Alex Hunting and Charlie Hocking
Be Brave was hand-delivered, half an hour before writing this. Content includes interviews with Adrian Shaughnessy, Michael Johnson and Jeremy Leslie as well as student accounts of internship experiences. All this and the fact that the cover doubles as a handy, self-assuring poster.
Apartamento Issue #05
Apartamento won a yellow pencil at the D&AD awards on Thursday night, which is nothing short of fully-deserved recognition. Issue #05 contains features on wood, Japanese mountains and an Andy Rementer comic. Yikes.
- Brooklyn-based Jyan Ku’s naive pastel works are oddly charming
- Jules de Balincourt’s vivid paintings of public spaces play with reality
- Harry Israelson photographs a renaissance fair in sunny California
- Pentagram’s Domenic Lippa designs the inaugural issue of YES & NO Magazine
- Introducing graphic designer Moonsick Gang
- “Non-league football is our punk rock” – Alex Brown’s work for Eastbourne Town FC
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again