As always, a quick highlight of five things that worked their way in the studio in the last seven days. If you would like anything considered for the weekly feature then please send them through to It’s Nice That, 95a Rivington Street, London EC2A 3AY.
For now though, this week’s things…
D&AD New Blood Poster NB Studio
Here’s a concept: suggest that this year’s influx of graduates will force older ‘creatives’ into considering ‘packing it all in’; photograph well-known ‘creatives’ driven to the point of suicide; print the images at A1. Sick, in some sort of brilliant way.
Gypsé Eyes is a zine consisting of poetry/stories written by Tyler Lafreniere. It comes with free badges. The content varies in focus. One of the stories is called Me, My Mum and the Sex Store.
Milly Freeman sent us a print, book and business card. Someone said “colourful” when the package was first opened. The print is probably our favourite item because it works no matter which way up you turn it.
Be Brave Alex Hunting and Charlie Hocking
Be Brave was hand-delivered, half an hour before writing this. Content includes interviews with Adrian Shaughnessy, Michael Johnson and Jeremy Leslie as well as student accounts of internship experiences. All this and the fact that the cover doubles as a handy, self-assuring poster.
Apartamento Issue #05
Apartamento won a yellow pencil at the D&AD awards on Thursday night, which is nothing short of fully-deserved recognition. Issue #05 contains features on wood, Japanese mountains and an Andy Rementer comic. Yikes.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting