As always, a quick highlight of five things that worked their way in the studio in the last seven days. If you would like anything considered for the weekly feature then please send them through to It’s Nice That, 95a Rivington Street, London EC2A 3AY.
For now though, this week’s things…
D&AD New Blood Poster NB Studio
Here’s a concept: suggest that this year’s influx of graduates will force older ‘creatives’ into considering ‘packing it all in’; photograph well-known ‘creatives’ driven to the point of suicide; print the images at A1. Sick, in some sort of brilliant way.
Gypsé Eyes is a zine consisting of poetry/stories written by Tyler Lafreniere. It comes with free badges. The content varies in focus. One of the stories is called Me, My Mum and the Sex Store.
Milly Freeman sent us a print, book and business card. Someone said “colourful” when the package was first opened. The print is probably our favourite item because it works no matter which way up you turn it.
Be Brave Alex Hunting and Charlie Hocking
Be Brave was hand-delivered, half an hour before writing this. Content includes interviews with Adrian Shaughnessy, Michael Johnson and Jeremy Leslie as well as student accounts of internship experiences. All this and the fact that the cover doubles as a handy, self-assuring poster.
Apartamento Issue #05
Apartamento won a yellow pencil at the D&AD awards on Thursday night, which is nothing short of fully-deserved recognition. Issue #05 contains features on wood, Japanese mountains and an Andy Rementer comic. Yikes.
- Graphic designer Cecilia Serafini uses typography with vibrant panache
- London-based Osheyi Adebayo references his childhood in his retro graphic design
- Tristan Pigott paints “real contemporaries” in upcoming solo exhibition, Juicy Bits
- “The great thing about this book is you don’t have to read it”: sculptor Wilfrid Wood on his favourite books
- The return of the hovering art director: Nejc Prah visualises a day in the life of four art directors
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris