This week’s Things includes an homage to modernism, the “safeguarding of a historically significant moment,” and a semi-psychedelic trip through everything. Might be worth you taking a look…
U:D/R 02, Space and structure Unit Editions
The second in Unit Editions’ ‘newspaper’ series, U:D/R 02 presents “Form, a quarterly magazine of the arts" published, only briefly, in the late ’60s. In both look and content, this issue is an homage not just to the magazine, but to British (/Swiss) modernism in general.
The Green Adam Towle, James Roper
I used to read Shoot. Sometimes I read Match, but I preferred Shoot because it came with posters. Maybe Match came with posters too? I can’t remember. It doesn’t matter now anyway, because there exists The Green, which offers football-related content with a depth not normally associated with other “soccer” magazines. Thankfully, the inaugural issue has a poster too.
#iranelection Tom van de Velde
During and immediately after the 2009 Iranian election, Tom van de Velde archived a number of influential tweets containing the #iranelection hashtag, and has since published them as a means of “safeguarding a historically significant moment.”
Rise and Fall Micah Lidberg
Micah Lidberg’s first book, Rise and Fall, is a semi-psychedelic trip though everything – a concertina fold-out that documents the evolutionary process (and more) in mind-blowing detail. If only real life looked like this.
Dead Ends Theo Simpson, Tom Common, Ben McLaughlin
Dead Ends starts with the line, “Once a fortnight, we walk down the hill to the jobcentre, hands in our pockets, eyes down,” and goes on to document, (beautifully, in most cases), a number of torn, screwed-up and discarded job-slips.
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project