This week’s Things includes an homage to modernism, the “safeguarding of a historically significant moment,” and a semi-psychedelic trip through everything. Might be worth you taking a look…
U:D/R 02, Space and structure Unit Editions
The second in Unit Editions’ ‘newspaper’ series, U:D/R 02 presents “Form, a quarterly magazine of the arts" published, only briefly, in the late ’60s. In both look and content, this issue is an homage not just to the magazine, but to British (/Swiss) modernism in general.
The Green Adam Towle, James Roper
I used to read Shoot. Sometimes I read Match, but I preferred Shoot because it came with posters. Maybe Match came with posters too? I can’t remember. It doesn’t matter now anyway, because there exists The Green, which offers football-related content with a depth not normally associated with other “soccer” magazines. Thankfully, the inaugural issue has a poster too.
#iranelection Tom van de Velde
During and immediately after the 2009 Iranian election, Tom van de Velde archived a number of influential tweets containing the #iranelection hashtag, and has since published them as a means of “safeguarding a historically significant moment.”
Rise and Fall Micah Lidberg
Micah Lidberg’s first book, Rise and Fall, is a semi-psychedelic trip though everything – a concertina fold-out that documents the evolutionary process (and more) in mind-blowing detail. If only real life looked like this.
Dead Ends Theo Simpson, Tom Common, Ben McLaughlin
Dead Ends starts with the line, “Once a fortnight, we walk down the hill to the jobcentre, hands in our pockets, eyes down,” and goes on to document, (beautifully, in most cases), a number of torn, screwed-up and discarded job-slips.
- Like a milder version of Marmite, it’s Best of the Web!
- Meet graphic designer Tor Weibull and his tubular metal typography
- Glasgow watch company Paulin launch new Art Deco-inspired typeface
- Samuel Douek on his pop-up queer art space CAMPerVAN at Tate Modern
- Agnese Morganti celebrates the sparkle and community of Italy’s majorettes
- Friday Mixtape: Visions Festival make us a mix of eclectic acts from its line up
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Colette, the trailblazer: creatives pay tribute to the iconic Parisian store and its legacy
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels