This week’s Things includes an homage to modernism, the “safeguarding of a historically significant moment,” and a semi-psychedelic trip through everything. Might be worth you taking a look…
U:D/R 02, Space and structure Unit Editions
The second in Unit Editions’ ‘newspaper’ series, U:D/R 02 presents “Form, a quarterly magazine of the arts" published, only briefly, in the late ’60s. In both look and content, this issue is an homage not just to the magazine, but to British (/Swiss) modernism in general.
The Green Adam Towle, James Roper
I used to read Shoot. Sometimes I read Match, but I preferred Shoot because it came with posters. Maybe Match came with posters too? I can’t remember. It doesn’t matter now anyway, because there exists The Green, which offers football-related content with a depth not normally associated with other “soccer” magazines. Thankfully, the inaugural issue has a poster too.
#iranelection Tom van de Velde
During and immediately after the 2009 Iranian election, Tom van de Velde archived a number of influential tweets containing the #iranelection hashtag, and has since published them as a means of “safeguarding a historically significant moment.”
Rise and Fall Micah Lidberg
Micah Lidberg’s first book, Rise and Fall, is a semi-psychedelic trip though everything – a concertina fold-out that documents the evolutionary process (and more) in mind-blowing detail. If only real life looked like this.
Dead Ends Theo Simpson, Tom Common, Ben McLaughlin
Dead Ends starts with the line, “Once a fortnight, we walk down the hill to the jobcentre, hands in our pockets, eyes down,” and goes on to document, (beautifully, in most cases), a number of torn, screwed-up and discarded job-slips.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant