Ever since first coming across the portfolio of Madrid-based Diana Kunst earlier this week her images have refused to leave me alone. There’s something charged about them – the same way the air feels heavy and expectant before a storm – and they’ve stalked me during the past few days, infiltrating my quiet moments and demanding to be considered afresh.
And yet even after all this I can’t quite put my finger on what it is about them. She is brilliant at creating a certain kind of atmosphere, a visual discombobulation. There’s a seam of sexuality running throughout but it’s rarely a straightforward kind (is sexuality ever straightforward?) with slightly dark, slightly twisted overtones at play and you often feel plunged into a narrative you’re forced to try and work out.
What’s interesting is to see her commercial work where her compositional brilliance is co-opted into more traditional fashion shoots, but it’s in her personal work where she lets her immense talents really run wild with a series of quietly confrontational works which will get under your skin.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery