Photographer Lucia Morate boasts a portfolio packed with artfully-shot enigma. The Madrid-based creative enjoys taking familiar set-ups and then twisting them to confound our expectations in a pleasantly disorientating way. So in Cactus in Bloom he takes the trust exercise of a person falling into someone else’s arms – a real office training favourite – and recreates it in all manner of striking locations. Similarly a series of small plastic animal figurines shot in shadowy profile raises any number of questions, to which the project title – Plastcized – teasingly hints at some answers.
Elsewhere Things Are Not As They Were sees a nude female interacting with the strange shell of what may be have once been a grandiose building throwing up an inetresting juxtapositon between her youth and vitality and the decrepit, crumbling structure.
Lucia is one of the editors of the 10 × 5 fanzine and so clearly has a wider outlook on the creative world than is sometimes the case – once can only assume that his understanding of the milieu in which he operates helps him toy with the rules in such interesting ways.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang