Photographer Lucia Morate boasts a portfolio packed with artfully-shot enigma. The Madrid-based creative enjoys taking familiar set-ups and then twisting them to confound our expectations in a pleasantly disorientating way. So in Cactus in Bloom he takes the trust exercise of a person falling into someone else’s arms – a real office training favourite – and recreates it in all manner of striking locations. Similarly a series of small plastic animal figurines shot in shadowy profile raises any number of questions, to which the project title – Plastcized – teasingly hints at some answers.
Elsewhere Things Are Not As They Were sees a nude female interacting with the strange shell of what may be have once been a grandiose building throwing up an inetresting juxtapositon between her youth and vitality and the decrepit, crumbling structure.
Lucia is one of the editors of the 10 × 5 fanzine and so clearly has a wider outlook on the creative world than is sometimes the case – once can only assume that his understanding of the milieu in which he operates helps him toy with the rules in such interesting ways.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant