One of the greatest cultural misunderstandings of the modern age is that being weird, or surreal is easy. The problem is that when you see an artist or a comedian doing it really well it seems effortless but my goodness when you see it done badly it’s excruciating. Imagine then if rather than just your trying to communicate your own sense of the absurd there were minds to distill into the final product? That’s the set up for Spanish art collective Rubenimichi whose weird and wonderful work manages to get it spot-on.
Their practice encompasses painting, photography and ceramics but it’s the former which particularly caught our eye with some truly bizarre creations featuring fruit, animals, nudity, birds and bleeding. But spend some time on their site and you realise there’s a certain method behind their madness, a skewed set of rules which seem to underpin their otherworlds. There’s some cool monochrome stuff as well, including one that brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “apple of my eye.”
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Cool off with this week's Best of the Web and who to follow on social media
- Elena Éper's spirited illustrations to make you smile and squirm
- Pencil Bandit and Grey London produce quirky branded stings for E4
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?