One of the greatest cultural misunderstandings of the modern age is that being weird, or surreal is easy. The problem is that when you see an artist or a comedian doing it really well it seems effortless but my goodness when you see it done badly it’s excruciating. Imagine then if rather than just your trying to communicate your own sense of the absurd there were minds to distill into the final product? That’s the set up for Spanish art collective Rubenimichi whose weird and wonderful work manages to get it spot-on.
Their practice encompasses painting, photography and ceramics but it’s the former which particularly caught our eye with some truly bizarre creations featuring fruit, animals, nudity, birds and bleeding. But spend some time on their site and you realise there’s a certain method behind their madness, a skewed set of rules which seem to underpin their otherworlds. There’s some cool monochrome stuff as well, including one that brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “apple of my eye.”
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Submit Saturdays: Should you create a portfolio website when you’re a student?
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Ben Hill and Daniel Oeffinger offer helping hand on Bucks' new animated spot for Cree
- Kristen Liu-Wong’s wild fluoro illustrations of empowered women
- Thoughtful composition and colour blocking in Martin Steiner’s sleek portfolio
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- World’s “ugliest” Pantone colour 448C is being used to deter smokers
- Ten of our favourite collage artists on Instagram
- Creative industries make last attempts to sway EU referendum voters
- North evolves Tate identity to be more adaptable
- Monotype unveils its redesigned Transport for London typeface, Johnston100