It was the defining question of last Christmas _ did you find Adam & Eve’s John Lewis advert a tearjerking reminder of what the holiday season could and should be about or did you find it unbearably smug and schmalzy? Either way it was hailed as monster success, scooping awards and apparently contributing to a bumper year for the store.
Since then Adam & Eve have been bought by DDB and Saturday night saw the debut of the new Never Knowingly Undersold splitscreen spot. It has some of the same key ingredients – high production values, a contemporary musician covering an 1980s track (in this case Paloma Faith doing INXS’ Never Tear us Apart) and emotional appeal by the bucketload, and it’s likely to similarly polarise opinion.
It doesn’t feel massively original but on its own terms there’s little doubting its power and for a big, family brand aiming for a mainstream audience (the ad was first shown during The X Factor) this advert ticks all the right boxes. More than that it’s been all over social media in the past few days and there are some neat touches such as the art gallery shot. By pitch-perfectly fulfilling its brief, Adam & Eve seem to have done it again,
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant