Architect Akihisa Hirata was part of the Japanese pavilion that just won the top prize at the Venice Architecture Biennale, but rather than shoot off on a champagne-fuelled celebratory speedboat tour harassing gondolas, he’s headed to London for his first international solo show.
This rising star has created an extraordinary continuous loop at The Architecture Foundation around which are exhibited sketches, models, films and even a soundscape.
His design philosophy centres on following nature’s lead to create beautiful,geometric solutions to problems and the set-up of this show mirrors his obsession with the idea that form, function and the interplay between natural and man-made are all tangled together in the architect’s mission.
He said: "The architecture of the future should be linked to the nature of living things. Architecture is the realisation of new horizons that are not only linked to the vast expanse of architectural history, but also to the history of the human race and life itself. Considering architecture as a tangle leads us closer to these new horizons and hopes.”
Tangling Runs at The Architecture Foundation until November 1.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations