“Childhood is a place I long to return – a place of safety and comfort, where I exist happy; careless; fearless; unencumbered by adult experience.” Through her explorations of fear, loss and the unknown, shown through her wistful sculptures, artist Alex Simpson leaves us in limbo, uncertain whether we are taken by her works’ complete beauty or haunted by the ominous air that cloaks it. Yet it is hard not to be drawn in by their delicacy, the sculpture’s sunken eyes and curious features luring us into a menacing world where creatures of nightmares exist.
Nostalgia is unavoidable. Playing with a collision of emotions, the desire and mourning for the innocence and naivety of childhood with the strength and anxieties provoked by adult fears and experiences, they toy with our own intuition; despite confronted by our own disjointed emotions, we can’t help but want to be in their company.
And these themes are considered across painting and print too (her most recent series Der Ring des Nibelungen soon to be available from Victory Press). All three mediums working as though in dialogue with the artist, Alex leaves each one some freedom for its own course, seeing the gouache and ink bleeding or the glazes that cover her sculpture moving as though paint.
- Another week over, it's Best of the Web!
- Joseph Harmon's warped intricate works unveiled at new show in Brooklyn
- Sophie Littman captures the underlying awkwardness of a village orchestra
- New York-based agency T&T&T are in it for “$$$$$, fame and graphic bliss”
- The psychedelic world of Dexter Navy
- Photographer Ilyes Griyeb takes us to Senegal's salt lakes
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations