There’s nothing like a brilliantly illustrated short to get you thinking about somebody you see every day in new and perhaps unexpected ways. And I can assure you that the Anete Melece’s delightful short The Kiosk will evoke in you a newfound sympathy for the nice chap in the corner shop who sells your your Sunday paper, and who never judges you when you pick up the occasional lottery ticket.
Her story is about Olga, a very jolly and slightly lonely news-stand owner whose sweet tooth has left her so enormous that she can no longer squeeze out from her place of work, so is forced instead to spend her days inside reading travel magazines and daydreaming about the far-off lands she would love to visit. Anete’s cut-out collage techniques and water-colour backgrounds are a testament to her talents as an illustrator, and her pitter-pattering characters are oddly familiar in spite of their distinctly two-dimensional figures and wordless conversations, offering a gentle comment about the monotony of daily routine in among the bright colours and rouged cheeks. Watch the trailer below; we can’t wait to see the full-length version in all its glory.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant