Now I’m no mathematician, but surely the internet + the ancient craft of ceramics = slick pots with a rainbow fade. These are like online catnip to girls who are into Flight of the Conchords, zine fairs, and houseplants. Ceramicist Angel Oloshove is way, way ahead of the pottery game with these sherbert-coloured beauties she calls Little Creatures.
It’s no secret that a lot of people are taking up pottery at the moment – kilns are so hot right now – and sure a lot of it is pretty shitty and can become quite nauseating, but this is totally different. Angel’s work is expertly made on a wheel and glazed in a way that I’ve never seen before to make a genuinely aesthetically pleasing set of vessels. Also, when she gets them out the kiln she refers to them as “babes” – see for yourself over on her blog.
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale