Hey everyone, remember back in February 2012 when we introduced you to Berndnaut Smilde and his jaw-dropping indoor clouds project Nimbus? Well we’ve been following Berndnaut’s career with interest ever since then and so we were fascinated to find out that he’s just collaborated with Harper’s Bazaar USA for his first ever work featuring people. But these aren’t just any people, oh no, this is five of the world’s most iconic designers, namely Karl Lagerfeld, Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce, Alber Elbaz and Donatella Versace.
It’s so interesting to see Berndnaut’s work move in this direction, with the meticulously created clouds (which only exist for a minute or two) forced to share centre stage with some of the fashion’s world’s biggest hitters. Or is it them forced to share centre stage with these ephemeral artworks? Either way, these images are incredible.
This feature appears in the September 2013 issue of Harper’s Bazaar U.S.
- Danish illustrator Rune Fisker’s clean, windswept surrealism
- Filmmaker Alice Dunseath presents a meditative reflection on life
- Edinburgh graduate Jack Fletcher's beautiful woodcut illustrations
- There Is' ace new typographic projects for Wired and New York Times magazine
- Clase bcn's bright but elegant identity for a Barcelona concert hall
- Craig Gibson's photography is sincere and refreshing
- Yolanda Dominguez asks kids to describe what they see in fashion campaigns
- Street photography shot on an iPhone during fake phonecalls by Jay Giampietro
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic logos unveiled
- Illustrated campaign for Volkswagen uses parents lying to children as a metaphor
- Should creatives ever accept unpaid work? We ask some seasoned experts
- We get a sneak peek of TASCHEN's new book documenting 50 years of Pirelli