Hey everyone, remember back in February 2012 when we introduced you to Berndnaut Smilde and his jaw-dropping indoor clouds project Nimbus? Well we’ve been following Berndnaut’s career with interest ever since then and so we were fascinated to find out that he’s just collaborated with Harper’s Bazaar USA for his first ever work featuring people. But these aren’t just any people, oh no, this is five of the world’s most iconic designers, namely Karl Lagerfeld, Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce, Alber Elbaz and Donatella Versace.
It’s so interesting to see Berndnaut’s work move in this direction, with the meticulously created clouds (which only exist for a minute or two) forced to share centre stage with some of the fashion’s world’s biggest hitters. Or is it them forced to share centre stage with these ephemeral artworks? Either way, these images are incredible.
This feature appears in the September 2013 issue of Harper’s Bazaar U.S.
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors