Hey everyone, remember back in February 2012 when we introduced you to Berndnaut Smilde and his jaw-dropping indoor clouds project Nimbus? Well we’ve been following Berndnaut’s career with interest ever since then and so we were fascinated to find out that he’s just collaborated with Harper’s Bazaar USA for his first ever work featuring people. But these aren’t just any people, oh no, this is five of the world’s most iconic designers, namely Karl Lagerfeld, Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce, Alber Elbaz and Donatella Versace.
It’s so interesting to see Berndnaut’s work move in this direction, with the meticulously created clouds (which only exist for a minute or two) forced to share centre stage with some of the fashion’s world’s biggest hitters. Or is it them forced to share centre stage with these ephemeral artworks? Either way, these images are incredible.
This feature appears in the September 2013 issue of Harper’s Bazaar U.S.
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting