Hey everyone, remember back in February 2012 when we introduced you to Berndnaut Smilde and his jaw-dropping indoor clouds project Nimbus? Well we’ve been following Berndnaut’s career with interest ever since then and so we were fascinated to find out that he’s just collaborated with Harper’s Bazaar USA for his first ever work featuring people. But these aren’t just any people, oh no, this is five of the world’s most iconic designers, namely Karl Lagerfeld, Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce, Alber Elbaz and Donatella Versace.
It’s so interesting to see Berndnaut’s work move in this direction, with the meticulously created clouds (which only exist for a minute or two) forced to share centre stage with some of the fashion’s world’s biggest hitters. Or is it them forced to share centre stage with these ephemeral artworks? Either way, these images are incredible.
This feature appears in the September 2013 issue of Harper’s Bazaar U.S.
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?
- Jeremy Jansen’s graphic design work bridges concept and coherency
- Michael Craig-Martin: a cool, clean and colourful riot of everyday objects
- Anatoly Grashchenko's randomly generated posters for a Moscow theatre
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Bobby Doherty’s vivid and humorous still-life photography
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs