Queuing up for Bompas & Parr’s much talked about new adventure (project doesn’t ever quite do them justice) it seemed odd to be watching the cast of Made in Chelsea plus many other not-quite-recognisable celebrities being chauffeured in before the rest of the baying crowd. What used to be two men on a mission to blow the minds of the unwitting public using large quantities of jelly and booze are now some of the most sought-after food artists on the planet (which may explain the arrival of the celebs).
So what exactly was all the queuing about? Well, in celebration of London Fashion Week, Mercedes hired out an enormous, almost entirely marble space below Selfridges known as the entrance to the Old Selfridges Hotel and enlisting the delectable Bompas and Parr to help them, they set about to create a culinary car-based event to wow the public.
Staying true to the drive-thru theme, crowds of people were served tiny burgers, cheese fondu and quails eggs washed down with intriguing cocktails including one gin martini with a rather unexpected cocktail hotdog. After the food had been very messily consumed, the huge doors of the room opened and down a marble ramp came a very shiny Mercedes that was full to the brim of cheese for everyone to gorge on. Combine that food with visual treats such as rollerskating waitresses, live music and hula-hooping, and you’ve got yourself a pretty perfect Bompas & Parr collaboration.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know