It’s a long acknowledged online truth that cats mean clicks. But if you were drawn in by Tom Edwards’ cute kitties above then prepare to be shocked; Tom’s drawing is a representation of the fact that Egyptian pharaohs were buried with 38 cats. This grisly feline tidbit is one of many such morsels collated by the creators of a new publishing service The Book Of Everyone, a website and app whereby you can order a personalised book for someone you love (or hate. But that’d be weird).
You submit the person’s name and date or birth and an algorithm searches through a huge database of miscellany to find relevant facts and figures. So if your mate is 32, they might find out that’s the same age Alexander The Great died or that so far in their life they have shed 15.4 litres of water while crying. You get the idea.
Anyway ahead of the launch at London’s KK Outlet on January 30, the creators of The Book of Everyone have commissioned some of our favourite creative talent – including Kyle Platts, Damian Poulain, Ian Stevenson and Patrick Kyle – to illustrate some of the weird and wonderful entries in their database. I’m a particular fan of Jean Jullien’s eco-terrorist, complete with dynamite and little else.
- Danish illustrator Rune Fisker’s clean, windswept surrealism
- Filmmaker Alice Dunseath presents a meditative reflection on life
- Edinburgh graduate Jack Fletcher's beautiful woodcut illustrations
- There Is' ace new typographic projects for Wired and New York Times magazine
- Clase bcn's bright but elegant identity for a Barcelona concert hall
- Craig Gibson's photography is sincere and refreshing
- Yolanda Dominguez asks kids to describe what they see in fashion campaigns
- Street photography shot on an iPhone during fake phonecalls by Jay Giampietro
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic logos unveiled
- Illustrated campaign for Volkswagen uses parents lying to children as a metaphor
- Should creatives ever accept unpaid work? We ask some seasoned experts
- We get a sneak peek of TASCHEN's new book documenting 50 years of Pirelli