It’s a long acknowledged online truth that cats mean clicks. But if you were drawn in by Tom Edwards’ cute kitties above then prepare to be shocked; Tom’s drawing is a representation of the fact that Egyptian pharaohs were buried with 38 cats. This grisly feline tidbit is one of many such morsels collated by the creators of a new publishing service The Book Of Everyone, a website and app whereby you can order a personalised book for someone you love (or hate. But that’d be weird).
You submit the person’s name and date or birth and an algorithm searches through a huge database of miscellany to find relevant facts and figures. So if your mate is 32, they might find out that’s the same age Alexander The Great died or that so far in their life they have shed 15.4 litres of water while crying. You get the idea.
Anyway ahead of the launch at London’s KK Outlet on January 30, the creators of The Book of Everyone have commissioned some of our favourite creative talent – including Kyle Platts, Damian Poulain, Ian Stevenson and Patrick Kyle – to illustrate some of the weird and wonderful entries in their database. I’m a particular fan of Jean Jullien’s eco-terrorist, complete with dynamite and little else.
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)