It’s a long acknowledged online truth that cats mean clicks. But if you were drawn in by Tom Edwards’ cute kitties above then prepare to be shocked; Tom’s drawing is a representation of the fact that Egyptian pharaohs were buried with 38 cats. This grisly feline tidbit is one of many such morsels collated by the creators of a new publishing service The Book Of Everyone, a website and app whereby you can order a personalised book for someone you love (or hate. But that’d be weird).
You submit the person’s name and date or birth and an algorithm searches through a huge database of miscellany to find relevant facts and figures. So if your mate is 32, they might find out that’s the same age Alexander The Great died or that so far in their life they have shed 15.4 litres of water while crying. You get the idea.
Anyway ahead of the launch at London’s KK Outlet on January 30, the creators of The Book of Everyone have commissioned some of our favourite creative talent – including Kyle Platts, Damian Poulain, Ian Stevenson and Patrick Kyle – to illustrate some of the weird and wonderful entries in their database. I’m a particular fan of Jean Jullien’s eco-terrorist, complete with dynamite and little else.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages