If there’s one thing we love more than really beautiful poster design, it’s really beautiful retro poster design. And we are able to feed our insatiable appetite for this kind of graphic design thanks to a fascinating project celebrating an east London legend. Chats Palace in Homerton, Hackney, was originally a library but after that closed it was claimed by the local community as a social and cultural hub that supported music, comedy, theatre, dance, carnival, disability arts, photography and other programmes.
Now Asya Gefter and Peter Young have launched a project aiming to document its history and celebrate its contribution to the area’s past. They’ve got an excellent blog and we were bowled over by these posters from the Chats Palace Printshop which was opened by Rene Rice in 1977. Over 21 years this silkscreen and offset lithographic printing workshop produced not only the Palace’s in-house printed matter but also the posters for a host of local organisations as eclectic as the community itself.
This is the sharp end of graphic design – low-budget posters aimed at a very localised audience and yet the composition, use of colour and type is uniformly wonderful. This archive is a real treat and a true part of east London’s design heritage.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant