Creatives and mood boards go together like Daphne and Celeste, and try as Tumblr and Pinterest might, up until now nothing has come anywhere close to challenging the satisfaction that comes from wielding a handful of drawing pins and some print-outs over an unassuming noticeboard. Curator might be in with a shot though. The brainchild of architect and app developer Daniel Nordh, Curator is an iPad app which “allows users to collect, organise and present mood boards mixing websites, images and text using a simple, intuitive tap-and-drag interface.” And for once, it really looks like it might do the trick.
Late last year when Curator had reached the top ten in the productivity category of the Appstore in 76 countries, Daniel decided it was time to get an outside perspective in “to improve the user experience and present a more considered and sophisticated appearance across the app, website and company branding.” And so he brought in design agency A Practice For Everyday Life.
They’ve done a beautiful job across the board, working meticulously through the functionality of the app and choosing clean but characterful typeface GT Walsheim with its geometric references as their point of departure for the identity. They explain: “The app icon and Curator & Co logo was derived from the boards within Curator, and appears in several iterations depending on context, evolving into a pattern that appears on the welcome screen and company business cards.” It’s excellent work, as ever, and we couldn’t be more excited about the prospect of a mood board app that actually works.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s