Split between New York and London, Department International are the kind of design team the internet was invented for. Bobby Singh and Brian Okarski are a pair of freelance designers who’ve worked for the likes of Nike, Wieden+Kennedy and BMW in their personal commercial practices, but together make wilfully experimental work that blurs graphic design, web art, photography and fashion into one seriously weird but beautifully striking hybrid.
Their Tumblr in particular is packed with proposals for posters, redesigns of men’s magazines and naturally (this is Tumblr after all) no small amount of nudity. More please gentlemen, we love what you’re doing!
- Xiang Guan’s Symbiotic Objects require a human component
- Alex Fergusson on the provocative and powerful nature of surface graphics
- Bendik Kaltenborn talks us through his retrospective book, collating ten years worth of work
- Meet music-obsessed graphic designer François Boulo
- César Pelizer’s 2D and 3D experiments are full of humour and imagination
- The irreverent spontaneity of Stefan Marx’s markmaking
- Vicky Grout takes us on a photographic trip through east London using Kodak's Ektra smartphone
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Timo Kuilder combines clean-cut linework with limited colours in his editorial work
- David Luraschi’s strikingly simple new campaign for fashion brand Jacquemus
- How 13 designers responded to a one-word brief: water
- Nicolas Ménard creates short animation for online mortgage broker Habito