Imagine you had a dream in which some of your favourite designers were all at a party. You’d be wandering around, glass of wine in one hand, vol au vent in the other and you wouldn’t really know where to start would you? A quick chinwag with Michael Bierut? Corner Wim Crouwel by the buffet? Maybe try and interpose between George Hardie and Angus Hyland to put the world to rights?
Now imagine (still in the dream) the doorbell goes and waiting outside are literally dozens more of your absolute favourite creatives and they all want in. Well this is kind of how I felt looking at this astonishing new charity project for Amadip Esment, a brilliant Majorca-based project which works to maximise opportunities for disabled people.
The brief is nice enough – to design an eye-catching, upbeat sticker which fits on the octagonal boxes which are used to package ensaimadas, a quintessentially Majorcan sweet pastry delicacy. And it’s no exaggeration to say the designers signed up by organiser Astrid Stavro constitute a jaw-dropping collection of so many of our favourites we don’t really know where to start.
There’s longtime friends of the site like Lucienne Roberts and Marion Deuchars, the cream of the UK studio scene like Fraser Muggeridge, APFEL, OK-RM and Studio Magkill, amazing Spanish creative talent like Alex Trochut and Hey Studio, heroes of ours like Hort, Hvass & Hannibbal and Daniel Eatock plus nailed-on legends like those mentioned at the top of this piece. Oh and LOADS more!
But of course big names only get you so far and it’s a real delight to see the many and varied responses to the brief which at its heart has a fascinating conundrum – can a sticker have an effect on society?
- Sam Pilling, Hattie Newman, Phil Sharp and Kit Caless at Nicer Tuesdays September
- Stephanie Unger’s instinctive illustrations use bright colours and simple shapes
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Nobrow co-founder Sam Arthur shares his favourite books
- Photographer Laura Pannack finds inspiration in a Romanian folk tale
- Ho Tam, the one-man-band publisher
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf