If it wasn’t for Tom Daley I would know nothing about diving. That said, the only thing I do know about diving is there’s a talented young British athlete named Tom Daley who happens to be a diver. Thanks to Ezra Shaw’s latest series of photos we can all learn a little more about divers and the ridiculous faces they pull while competing. The sheer concentration and skill of those involved is captured perfectly in this slideshow at the recent FINA World Championships in Shanghai. Found via WSJ Photo Journal.
Talking more on the WSJ site Ezra says: “Like any event, I am always trying to get something a little different each day. We had just got a 800mm lens shipped in from London and I decided to take it over to the diving pool and see what I could get. I set up down on the pool deck for the men’s 3-meter springboard prelims. After the first diver went, I realized it was going to be much more difficult to capture the type of images I wanted because the divers were jumping so fast, and the 800mm lens was so tight. However, I started to get the hang of it, and by the end of the session, I got a handful of pictures that I really liked showing the different faces of the divers.”
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc