If it wasn’t for Tom Daley I would know nothing about diving. That said, the only thing I do know about diving is there’s a talented young British athlete named Tom Daley who happens to be a diver. Thanks to Ezra Shaw’s latest series of photos we can all learn a little more about divers and the ridiculous faces they pull while competing. The sheer concentration and skill of those involved is captured perfectly in this slideshow at the recent FINA World Championships in Shanghai. Found via WSJ Photo Journal.
Talking more on the WSJ site Ezra says: “Like any event, I am always trying to get something a little different each day. We had just got a 800mm lens shipped in from London and I decided to take it over to the diving pool and see what I could get. I set up down on the pool deck for the men’s 3-meter springboard prelims. After the first diver went, I realized it was going to be much more difficult to capture the type of images I wanted because the divers were jumping so fast, and the 800mm lens was so tight. However, I started to get the hang of it, and by the end of the session, I got a handful of pictures that I really liked showing the different faces of the divers.”
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design