Fashion illustration is something of an overlooked art when it comes to sartorially-led projects, but TASCHEN’s beautiful new tome Illustration Now! Fashion is a weighty (literally) testament to its importance both to the creative process and as its own art form.
The book is almost encyclopaedic in its detailing of the most important names to the genre, referencing houses as big as Maison Martin Margiela, Christian Dior and Louis Vuitton, and using huge full-page prints to hammer home the point; the makers might not shout about it, but a full book fit to bursting with fashion illustration is quite something to behold. Alongside the French masters are a host of names I’d never even heard of before I opened these pages, but the incredible variety of style and technique inside it has got me damn glad I did.
Steven Heller’s witty introduction details the stylistic and methodical demands placed on illustrators depicting fashions, while an in depth opening essay by fashion historian Adelheid Rasche provides an informative and fascinating introduction to its importance in a cultural sphere. See? Brains and beauty! One for the library you’re dreaming of owning.
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Resolute yet playful designs for the If I Can't Dance groups’ compilation
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?
- Jeremy Jansen’s graphic design work bridges concept and coherency
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs