The super-rich eh? What with their barely-concealed contempt for the tax laws and their peacocks and their yachts. Particularly their yachts. Why should command of our waterways be linked to financial success? Thankfully Arno Mathies and Max Frommeld, two recent graduates from the Royal College of Art have created the unbelievable brilliant Foldboat, a flat pack rowing boat able to carry two people, fit easily in the boot of a car and a snip at just £800. In this video they tell us all about their invention, currently on show at The Dock in Portobello. Vive la revolution!
Of course we are being flippant, there’s also a really serious side to the Foldboat which could make it easier for charities to get to people in need after natural disasters like floods. Tremendous stuff and design at its best – a stylish, simple, solution.
- “My personal work informs everything that comes after it" and other bits we learned at September's Nicer Tuesdays
- Xiang Guan’s Symbiotic Objects require a human component
- Alex Fergusson on the provocative and powerful nature of surface graphics
- Bendik Kaltenborn talks us through his retrospective book, collating ten years worth of work
- Meet music-obsessed graphic designer François Boulo
- César Pelizer’s 2D and 3D experiments are full of humour and imagination
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books