The first time we posted Fort Standard’s work you could have been forgiven for thinking that they weren’t exactly heavyweight designers. We loved their geometric Balancing Blocks for their playfulness and charm but you’d have been hard-pushed to suggest that they were essential items – I can’t really think of an instance in which red, blue and green wooden shapes would get you out of a fix.
Their latest project, however, is the kind of object you ought never to leave home without. Life Is Precious is a beautifully-designed compact survival kit that fits comfortably within a neatly machined metal tube. Commissioned by Wallaper* to produce an object for their Handmade show at the Salone Del Mobile, they set out to “design a survival kit… which looked and felt as precious as its contents. An object you could easily bring with you on a day hike or even keep in your car or boat, but most importantly an object you would WANT to bring with you everywhere.”
Including a compass, matches, fishing wire and whistle as well as a pen knife and sewing kit, we’re confident that this is the kind of gear that’d save you in the wild, but with such impeccable attention paid to its design there’s no doubt that Fort Standard have created an object of covetable beauty too.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant