Not many artists could boast their work evoked a righteous chalice gesture to the heavens. But then not many artists have had as important an impact on high-fantasy art as Frank Frazetta. You think you don’t know who he is but you do – if you have ever listened to or stood near someone who listens to heavy metal, read comics, pulp fantasy fiction, or find meaning in the combinations of words “rogue roman,” “moon maid,” and “wither wing,” then you know who Frank Frazetta is.
Opening this evening at the Drawers Gallery is the first retrospective of its kind in the UK. Painting With Power will feature over 40 prints from a very long and prolific career in comics and art with the work undoubtedly depicting impossible Charles Atlas men and fantastical, terrible beasts that loom behind mostly naked women and the epically-imagined landscapes. It doesn’t have to be your cup of tea for you to appreciate the acuity of this man’s imagination or artistic ability and, for anyone whose tastes venture beyond the close-minded ambit of the real world, his career is one of massive inspiration and vital importance to sci-fi storytelling.
Frank Frazetta – A Retrospective: Painting with Power will be on show until June 6.
- Hello and welcome to the new look It’s Nice That
- Sweet, surreal still lifes by Paris-based Clotilde Viannay
- We ask some established creatives what they wish they'd learned at art school
- Embracing the uncanny with photographer Nadia Lee Cohen (NSFW)
- Music's slick, dark designs for British Fashion Council annual review
- Wonder Room shows how to adapt posters designed for print for online
- Yolanda Dominguez asks kids to describe what they see in fashion campaigns
- Street photography shot on an iPhone during fake phonecalls by Jay Giampietro
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic logos unveiled
- Should creatives ever accept unpaid work? We ask some seasoned experts
- Illustrated campaign for Volkswagen uses parents lying to children as a metaphor
- We get a sneak peek of TASCHEN's new book documenting 50 years of Pirelli