Formed in Walla Walla, Washington, Chastity Belt are a powerful female force. When Julia Shapiro, Lydia Lund, Annie Truscott and Gretchen Grimm play together it is just pure fun with no holding back, laughing, smiling and playing upon humorous takes on feminine stereotypes that fill their lyrics.
Chastity Belt released their third album this month (June 2017), I Used To Spend So Much Time Alone. To celebrate, drummer Gretchen has created a mixtape of the songs they’re listening to on tour for you to drive around to this weekend! Over to Gretchen…
What records were you listening to when recording your new album?
We weren’t really listening to too many records while we were recording. After recording all day it’s nice to have a break from music/noise. I remember Julia was watching Stranger Things and got me hooked on that show.
Are there certain songs you listen to on tour?
We all love Elliott Smith and listen to him quite a bit… and Lucinda Williams <3. We have an Avril Lavigne CD in our van that we blasted a bunch on our last tour. Every tour we tend to get into something. One tour we listened to Sia a ton.
If a feature film was made about Chastity Belt, what song would be on the trailer and why?
If there was a movie made about us the song Order by When Saints Go Machine would be in the trailer. Our friend Kate discovered that song while she was in Europe with us and it’s been a staple for us ever since!
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design