Imagine you were asked to make a film out of the late, great Monty Python’s star Graham Chapman’s life. Now imagine that true to Python form and spirit you decided to make it an animation. How on earth would you begin to decide on a look and feel that could communicate this extraordinary man and his ridiculous talent? Easy, you don’t decide on one look and feel, you decide on loads.
So for the film version of A Liar’s Autobiography no fewer than 14 animation studios working cross 17 different styles got on board, and this trailer suggests the result is going to be something very special.
As the official release puts it: “Although Chapman selfishly dropped dead in 1989, he had taken the trouble to record himself reading his book, A Liar’s Autobiography — and those recordings have now ingeniously been used to provide Chapman’s voice for the 3D animated feature of the same name. ”Not a documentary, not a Monty Python film, A Liar’s Autobiography is Chapman’s own take on his bizarre life and his search for self-knowledge."
Starring his fellow Python members and a few surprise guests this is a silly, surreal way of marking the life of a hugely loved but also hugely troubled comedy star.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant