It’s 8am and you’re on the way to work, a morning coffee in your hand and everything going swell; but what’s this? your barista/coffee purist has steamed your flat white/toffee soy lattaccino for too long and the searing heat from the liquid is burning your hands, even through the protective polystyrene cup. Disaster. Thankfully there’s a solution to your hand-scalding problem courtesy of Portland-based object hacker Chris Held, who proposes the addition of a portable wooden handle to your caffeine receptacle, thus eliminating any burning sensations and rendering you instantly stylish in the process.
Chris’ portfolio is full of similarly canny work, taking ubiquitous found objects and re-imagining their aesthetic and function, elevating them to the realms of the extraordinary. Persian Palett for example takes a fairly uninspiring industrial palett and breathes new life into it with ornate patterned embellishments. Stunning work throughout, though we’re really not sure what use Gold Club could possibly have, save as an outrageously bling back scratcher.
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- Meet the speakers: Frances Corner, Yukai Du, Akinola Davies and Simon Landrein
- Illustrator Antoine Cossé talks about the highs and lows of creating comic books
- How Greg Barth and Droga5’s surreal, retro-futuristic ad for MailChimp was made
- Llewellyn Mejia's paintings created in between commercial projects
- Robert Nicol’s brutish but spirited illustrations spanning artistic mediums
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris