Somehow in our five-year lifespan we’ve neglected to feature the work of Harriman Steel, a design agency with a huge body of strong commercial work. They’re also (nearly) our neighbours, with their studio just round the corner from our own. Sorry about that guys; hopefully this will make amends. Suffice to say we have some catching up to do so, in order to do these lovely folks and their excellent work justice, here’s a whistle-stop tour of some of their best work to date:
Firstly there’s their work for the BBC’s GCSE Bitesize initiative (an online revision platform), a project incredibly close to my heart. Almost a decade ago, when I was staring down the barrel of ten GCSEs I used the first incarnation of this site. It was rubbish and taught me nothing, but then at that point the internet in general was a bit of a mess. The BBC must have realised this in the intervening years and approached Harriman Steel to fix it, which they did admirably; creating a whole range of content for the site, making it more approachable and finally allowing the project to live up to its potential. Lovely.
Secondly they’ve produced an enormous volume of beautiful print collateral for the BBC Concert Orchestra, from promotional material to editorial publications. Each new project is conceptually and visually distinct from the previous one, allowing the music itself to influence the visual direction of the design work. For such a regular and repetitive ongoing project it’s wonderful to see each new incarnation approached with a totally fresh perspective.
And thirdly (though there’s obviously many more projects to see) there’s the knockout environmental design they completed for Casio’s global flagship store in Covent Garden; a stunning space that’s won widespread acclaim within the retail community. Which about brings us up to date. But rest assured there’ll be lots more to come in the future for these guys, so keep your eyes peeled.
- Victoria Vincent’s animation captures the tragic pitfalls of online dating
- Adam Birkan captures the diverse and juxtaposing landscape of Hanoi
- Submit Saturdays: So you’ve built your website, what’s next?
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Best of the web: a whole host of internet goodies
- Mould Map's latest issue is brought to life as an exhibition
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- London Design Festival: where to go and what to see
- Caitlyn Murphy's paintings elevate the charm of everyday life
- Sean Lotman’s serenely psychedelic photographs of Japan