Illustrator Hellovon is the go-to guy for “iconic.” He has just updated his site for the first time in more than a year and each project shows why,when you have a brief that calls for power and personality, you beat a path to his door. It’s great to see him bringing his flair for depicting sports stars to the official paralympics posters, and these dynamic portraits of extraordinary athletes are among the stand-out new pieces.
But elsewhere from media mogul Rupert Murdoch to totalitarian North Korea leader Kimg Jong-Un, Twitter founder Jack Dorsey to acting titan Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Hellovon’s signature style brings these figures to life with amazing accuracy but without sacrificing the sense these are real people.
There’s also an excellent set of portraits for Rankin’s Hunger magazine which manage to make familiar faces like Sir Paul Smith and Michael Sheen feel fresh and experimental and a stunning portrait of diver Tom Daley for the Adidas-sponsored Olympics wraps for the Metro newspaper.
No wonder the updates to his site are few and far between – the man barley gets a breather – but my goodness they’re worth the wait.
- Standards Manual return with catalogue of 400 objects relating to New York City Transit
- Emma King's publication rewrites Orwell's "1984" using Donald Trump's tweets
- It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day – it’s Best of the Web!
- Bolade Banjo photographs the perseverance of Detroit’s student athletes
- Alex Grigg animates Steve Stoute’s homage to Biggie Smalls
- Billy Clark applies his graphic sensibilities to his minimal yet textured illustrations
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books