As job titles go, “body architect” is so impossibly cool it sounds made-up. But Australian-born, Amsterdam-based Lucy McRae has made the term her own having fused her classical ballet training with her unique design vision to create work that straddles sculpture, architecture, science, and fashion design, manipulating the body’s natural structure to invent novel anatomical forms.
It’s mesmerising stuff – living subjects coated, injected and bathed with other-worldly embellishments to create new bodies of exquisite imperfection and they’re imbued with a haunting visceral realism that has become her creative insignia.
Whether it’s high-end fashion shoots,music videos, album covers for the likes of Robyn or collaborations with huge names like Nick Knight and long-time creative partner Bart Hess or her fascinating personal projects Lucy’s work has continued to amaze and delight in equal measure and we can but wonder at the meticulous planning and preparation that goes into each one.
But at Here, Lucy who was this year named a TED fellow, will talk about the role accidental discoveries play in her creative process and how her best laid plans can go off in weird and wonderful directions thanks to the intervention of happenstance.
Hearing such a unique talent delve into her own methods promises to be a richly rewarding experience. Here takes place on Friday September 21 at London’s Royal Geographical Society. For more information and tickets click here
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design