It’s not often that our favourite creatives get to produce work for one of the biggest names in music – in fact this may well be the first time it’s happened – but Hugo and Marie’s work for Rihanna’s latest Unapologetic album bucks this trend nicely. Utilising not just one, but two of our favourite illustrators, Mario Hugo and MVM, the album is awash with hand-rendered type and MVM’s now ubiquitous illustration of Miss Fenty herself.
Pulling in the creative talents of eight different people, including photographers Michael Muller and Melissa Forde, Rihanna and Ciarra Pardo as well as our former, and much missed, intern Sam Hodges, Unapologetic is a magnificent example of a large group of people pulling together to make something great at extremely high speed. Hopefully this means more collaborations with multi-platinum popstars in the future.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery