There’s a lot of weird things that go on at festivals (friends and colleagues tell me, I don’t do tents/port-a-loos/large crowds) but if you’re heading to Bestival this summer you might be in line for a surreal experience par excellence. Art collective Hungry Castle plan to build a three metre high inflatable Lionel Ritchie Head, potentially rising to six metres if they can raise the necessary funds through Kickstarter.
Visitors will be able to enter Lionel’s brain where they’ll find a ringing telephone and I shouldn’t have to tell you which of Lionel’s classics they’ll hear through the receiver. Rewards for backers range from Lionel Ritchie T-shirts and beanie hats to an overnight stay in the head itself – best how-we-got-engaged story ever?
There’s an admirable perefctionism at play in the Hungry Castle scheme, as they say: “To get Lionel looking like he did 30 years ago in inflatable style is no cheap trick. Achieving a face shape is one thing but adding nose, lips, cheekbones, colors, textures etc. increases the production cost even more. We want Lionel Richie’s Head looking his best from all sides.”
And if you can’t make it to the Isle of Wight for the festival then it may not be your only chance to enter Lionel’s massive head. “A good thing about an inflatable Lionel Richie Head is that it packs and travels well,” they point out. “Once we succeed in bringing it to Bestival the dream is for Lionel Richie’s Head to pop up and say ‘Hello’ in countries all over the world.”
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant