It’s impossible to imagine a world without Youtube now. There used to be a time when homemade films belonged at weekend screenings with your grandparents and music videos lived only on a place called MTV. Remember that? But now we have a beautiful online repository for stifled creativity and Justin Bieber fan videos and our lives are that little bit richer for it.
Take Darren Solomon’s In B Flat 2.0 for example, a large bank of musical and spoken word Youtube videos gathered by the artist and international collaborators. It’s a terrific example of pushing the medium to new heights by allowing users to create their own musical experiences, compositing selections of video and controlling their levels through Youtube’s standard interface. Each video is in the same key, so there’s no danger of bum notes ruining your audio experience, and the spoken word pieces are all reassuringly uplifting.
It might not have the same thrill as seeing a live musical performance, but you’ve got to appreciate the sheer enjoyment of seeing people from all over the globe get together to make music – however trite that might sound. Youtube, we salute you!
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors