Predictably, the beautifully-curated visual resource Intelligent Clashing – a blog which places images together into a seemingly neverending stream of shapes, colours, textiles, patterns and prints which all share some kind of resemblance to the image which precede them – translates perfectly into an equally well-curated publication of the same name, subtitled Something Tremendous Has Happened.
Widely skirting the borders of twee and cutesy and instead stumbling happily into the perimeters of absurd, unexpected and completely brilliant, the time devoted by artist and writer Rhiannon Gilmore to piecing together all of the fragments of which Intelligent Clashing is composed has paid off 100-fold. The blog sits happily amongst others of the same intent, providing a stream of visual inspiration to readers all over the place, and its printed equivalent is equally lovely, featuring visual essays compiled by Rhiannon, photographs by artist Mary Manning and an essay by Nathan Walker. One to keep within arm’s length at all time just in case you need a spark of inspiration.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting