Together with Landfill Editions, we invited the unassailable talents of Tom Sewell and Benbo George to design for us something truly nice. Independent of each other, both artists gave us pieces slightly to the left of normality and wallow in their own aesthetic weirdness. They couldn’t possibly have done a better job. You can find the prints in the It’s Nice That shop for a limted time only for £15, with individual runs being limited to 100 of each, signed and numbered by the artist.
We also thought we’d ask the two illustrators some mildly abstract questions about themselves and their prints…
What combination of words describe both you and your work?
Tom Sewell: In my ‘art’ I try and make as little sense as possible. My work is a collection of reference points / non-sequiters largely specific to me, mostly gleaned from reading & being. Sometimes iconography repeats in my work, as it does in my brain. I hope other people dig / get it. Is that ok?
Benbo George: A vivid peculiarity.
What is going on in your print and why?
TS: The iconography of myth, Odin’s crow of knowledge, a hawk steals the moon, birthed dead above. The infant stolen by the armless, the Dolmen anthropomorphises. The candle of time melts. I have little idea why.
BG: A hazy past, a distorted future, a clear and colourful present. A portrait of mental imagery.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting