Now, here’s a high-flying artist – since completing a degree in fine art at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Jacob Hashimoto has had his installations exhibited all over the world. What’s more, his primary material these days is… kites! Using plain and patterned papers strung up by bamboo framing networks, he constructs site-specific artworks comprised of these kite-elements, that seek to challenge the conventional boundaries between pictorial and sculpted space.
Hashimoto’s The Other Sun is the Brooklyn-based artist’s first solo UK exhibition, and has just opened to the public at the London’s Ronchini Gallery, in conjunction with Studio La Città. Viewers can enter into the space and appreciate the playful kite-work from a variety of angles; the suspended discs, both plain and patterned, are reminiscent of children’s mobiles, and as the audience moves around the work, different elements may combine to form simple representational shapes until they are fragmented again by their continued movement.
The Other Sun will be on show at London’s Ronchini Gallery until August 28.
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)