Just when we were getting used to editorial fashion shoots being filled with the refined bodies of models clad in expensive materials moodily shot, Brighton based photographer Joseph Ford appeared, throwing aerial landscape shots into the mix. And it is here that we see great talent meet a great idea and witness just how brilliant it can become.
Approaching art director Stephanie Buisseret and stylist Mario Faundez at Paris streetcar magazine WAD earlier in the year with an idea for “juxtaposing aerial landscape photography with the fine details of fashion” Joseph presented his images set beside clothing samples, exhibiting just how similar they might be. Taken with the idea, the three then worked together to create this series of uncanny transitional images where roof tops become plaid shirts, forest covered railway tracks become zips amid camouflage and desert set landing strips become well matched watches on beige clothing. We are not surprised that they have become so popular.
After being nominated for the Association of Photographers Award in the UK and receiving an Honourable Mention at the International Photography Awards, Joseph continued his project with stylist Almut Vogel from Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin. Though each image took apparently up to 12 hours to get such a perfect overlap, their patience is more than worthwhile when it results in such an original and fun approach fashion.
- Should account handlers and project managers be awarded like creatives?
- Graphic designer Kristoffer Halse Sølling navigates the power play between customer and superstore
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016
- What do you do if your design agency fails? One designer and ex-agency owner's support and advice
- Vibrant and bold work from French illustrator Mary Lou Faure
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood