Just when we were getting used to editorial fashion shoots being filled with the refined bodies of models clad in expensive materials moodily shot, Brighton based photographer Joseph Ford appeared, throwing aerial landscape shots into the mix. And it is here that we see great talent meet a great idea and witness just how brilliant it can become.
Approaching art director Stephanie Buisseret and stylist Mario Faundez at Paris streetcar magazine WAD earlier in the year with an idea for “juxtaposing aerial landscape photography with the fine details of fashion” Joseph presented his images set beside clothing samples, exhibiting just how similar they might be. Taken with the idea, the three then worked together to create this series of uncanny transitional images where roof tops become plaid shirts, forest covered railway tracks become zips amid camouflage and desert set landing strips become well matched watches on beige clothing. We are not surprised that they have become so popular.
After being nominated for the Association of Photographers Award in the UK and receiving an Honourable Mention at the International Photography Awards, Joseph continued his project with stylist Almut Vogel from Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin. Though each image took apparently up to 12 hours to get such a perfect overlap, their patience is more than worthwhile when it results in such an original and fun approach fashion.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant