If you’re not familiar with Jillian Tamaki’s work then we suggest you stop what you’re doing and get acquainted pretty damn quick. The Alberta native has been making huge waves in the illustration industry for a good six or seven years now and we feel we’ve probably let you all down by not showing her work here previously.
In Jillian’s portfolio the brush is king and her exquisite inked lines demonstrate a skilled draftsmanship that’s not seen often enough among regularly commissioned illustrators. Thematically she’s as varied as her clients, though every image she creates maintains a playful sense of intangibility; even when grounded firmly in a rainy city her characters seem to be elsewhere. She also draws animals like an absolute pro.
Now a teacher at the prestigious School of Visual Arts in New York she still finds time to pack in a mammoth amount of editorial commissions as well as various ongoing graphic novel projects with her cousin Mariko Tamaki. Impressive stuff!
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant