Job Wouters is a calligrapher, artist and illustrator based in Amsterdam, who has made creating large-scale typographic murals his thing. His aesthetic combines traditional craftsmanship with a contemporary minimalist edge, which might explain why Italian brand Canali chose to collaborate with him to celebrate their anniversary in this short video for Nowness, in which he creates 80 calligraphic pieces – one for every year of the brand’s existence. The slick simplicity of the video’s composition paired with his unfaltering brush makes for dangerously dreamy, almost hypnotic watching which makes even glancing down at the predictability of your keyboard again entirely unappealing. You’ve been warned.
If you fancy familiarising yourself with his work then you can also see the brilliant talk he gave with his equally talented brother Roel at our annual creative Symposium Here back in 2012. It’s available to watch in full now on our audio-visual channel First Broadcast.
- Wrap up warm with this week's Best of the Web
- This is Jane: a charming photo series that displays the empowerment of women
- Brooklyn-based illustrator Aaron Fernandez’s fluorescent editorial commissions
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Join Jonathan Barnbrook, Maisie Willoughby, Wallace Henning, Anna Lomax and Jess Bonham at Nicer Tuesdays December
- Legs 11: artist Alfie Kungu’s comically long-trousered figures
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich