Before you cast your judgement and think this is probably a stupid attempt at recreating one of the most loved animated films of all time, let me reassure you that this is a project so well thought-out and meticulously put together that when watching it, you kind of forget that it’s not the real thing. To cut a (two year) long story short, film-makers Jonason Pauley and Jesse Perrotta have re-made Toy Story using official merchandise, a lot of craft ,a handful of willing actors and the entire audio of the original film. It is, in short, genius – the car chase at the end may as well be the real film, I’m not kidding.
We’ve seen “sweded” films before, particularly in Michel Gondry’s Be Kind Rewind where Jack Black and Mos Def succeed in remaking the entire of GhostBusters from scratch, but why does it constantly appeal? I suppose there’s something about seeing the scenes and characters that are etched on to your brain during childhood recreated with such love and care that’s totally heartwarming. Don’t waste any more time reading this, go and make a cup of tea and watch this movie, marvelling at how these two men (who deserve some sort of award) have recreated your favourite scenes — it will blow your mind.
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale