We’re still reeling from meeting one man behind indie-cartoon favourite Adventure Time, so to keep up the theme of surreal US cartoon comedy, allow me to introduce you to yet another of the dextrous hands behind Finn and Jake’s adventures, Micheal DeForge. Michael’s been a gun-for-hire for the Cartoon Network for some time now, but in his spare hours he puts his skills to use on a whole host of other projects, from designing record sleeves to inking a slew of his own comics.
Populated with insecure, violent ant colonies, rednecks with extraordinary allergies and other, even more surreal narratives – at times darkly existential yet often wilfully puerile – Michael has a portfolio that few could match. He’s a skilled draftsman yet his style is simple, almost rudimentary, allowing the purity of his narratives to shine through (and presumably allowing him to more easily produce the enormous volume of work he does). If you’re already a fan of the surreal, or even if you just like to laugh, then Michael DeForge is a man we’d urge you to get acquainted with. “Youth culture forever!”
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc