You know how it is, spend a few weeks putting your heart and soul into a project and then two weeks later it’s a thing of the past, stashed away under your bed never to see the light of day again. It is an all too familiar story for photographer Michael Jang, but 30 years after snapping the sparky faces of those auditioning to become weather reporters back in the 1980s, his portrait series Summer Weather finally emerged last May and let me tell you, it is well and truly worth the wait.
First taken in 1983 as part of a job for his local television station in San Francisco, the photographs capture the somewhat wonderfully odd bunch of budding applicants all auditioning for a chance to be the local weather’s next big thing. And with more bouffant hair on show than you ever thought possible, the photographs come absolutely seeping in retro goodness.
Although having a long career as a commercial photographer – photographing the icons like Jimi Hendrez and Frank Sinatra left right and centre – Michael never exhibited his work and it is only now that his projects are steadily coming to light and achieving the recognition they deserve.
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Plant pots with boobs, tan lines and tight speedos: it's the joyful ceramics of Group Partner
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- 100 hours with The Beatles: Shimpei Asai's photographs from 1966
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”