You know how it is, spend a few weeks putting your heart and soul into a project and then two weeks later it’s a thing of the past, stashed away under your bed never to see the light of day again. It is an all too familiar story for photographer Michael Jang, but 30 years after snapping the sparky faces of those auditioning to become weather reporters back in the 1980s, his portrait series Summer Weather finally emerged last May and let me tell you, it is well and truly worth the wait.
First taken in 1983 as part of a job for his local television station in San Francisco, the photographs capture the somewhat wonderfully odd bunch of budding applicants all auditioning for a chance to be the local weather’s next big thing. And with more bouffant hair on show than you ever thought possible, the photographs come absolutely seeping in retro goodness.
Although having a long career as a commercial photographer – photographing the icons like Jimi Hendrez and Frank Sinatra left right and centre – Michael never exhibited his work and it is only now that his projects are steadily coming to light and achieving the recognition they deserve.
- Standards Manual return with catalogue of 400 objects relating to New York City Transit
- Emma King's publication rewrites Orwell's "1984" using Donald Trump's tweets
- It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day – it’s Best of the Web!
- Bolade Banjo photographs the perseverance of Detroit’s student athletes
- Alex Grigg animates Steve Stoute’s homage to Biggie Smalls
- Billy Clark applies his graphic sensibilities to his minimal yet textured illustrations
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books