You know how it is, spend a few weeks putting your heart and soul into a project and then two weeks later it’s a thing of the past, stashed away under your bed never to see the light of day again. It is an all too familiar story for photographer Michael Jang, but 30 years after snapping the sparky faces of those auditioning to become weather reporters back in the 1980s, his portrait series Summer Weather finally emerged last May and let me tell you, it is well and truly worth the wait.
First taken in 1983 as part of a job for his local television station in San Francisco, the photographs capture the somewhat wonderfully odd bunch of budding applicants all auditioning for a chance to be the local weather’s next big thing. And with more bouffant hair on show than you ever thought possible, the photographs come absolutely seeping in retro goodness.
Although having a long career as a commercial photographer – photographing the icons like Jimi Hendrez and Frank Sinatra left right and centre – Michael never exhibited his work and it is only now that his projects are steadily coming to light and achieving the recognition they deserve.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant