Sometimes you stumble across a portfolio so good it makes you wonder if it might be some sort of hoax. Has the person behind this beautiful body of work actually just trawled National Geographic and presented the work of ten photographers as their own? No, they have not, they’re just so good at what they do that your mind won’t let you believe it for fear of shrivelling with inadequacy.
Nik Daum has one such portfolio, and it’s dense with photographs that are not only highly technically accomplished but also very, very engaging. The San Francisco native travels the world with his camera at his side, photographing everything from vast panoramas of sprawling landscapes to close-up chance encounters with animals that afford only an instant to be captured. Both circumstances are tackled with the utmost skill, utilising a compositional eye and understanding of colour that is utterly enviable. What’s more Nik’s website shows off his images in large format, allowing you to enjoy them as large as your monitor will allow – so you won’t miss even the slightest detail.
Sit back and allow your mind to shrivel.
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Plant pots with boobs, tan lines and tight speedos: it's the joyful ceramics of Group Partner
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”