Sometimes you stumble across a portfolio so good it makes you wonder if it might be some sort of hoax. Has the person behind this beautiful body of work actually just trawled National Geographic and presented the work of ten photographers as their own? No, they have not, they’re just so good at what they do that your mind won’t let you believe it for fear of shrivelling with inadequacy.
Nik Daum has one such portfolio, and it’s dense with photographs that are not only highly technically accomplished but also very, very engaging. The San Francisco native travels the world with his camera at his side, photographing everything from vast panoramas of sprawling landscapes to close-up chance encounters with animals that afford only an instant to be captured. Both circumstances are tackled with the utmost skill, utilising a compositional eye and understanding of colour that is utterly enviable. What’s more Nik’s website shows off his images in large format, allowing you to enjoy them as large as your monitor will allow – so you won’t miss even the slightest detail.
Sit back and allow your mind to shrivel.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc