If you’ve read any books in the last few years you’ll undoubtedly have come across the impressive design skills of Peter Mendelsund, associate art director at Knopf and Pantheon books. He’s designed the covers for hundreds of literature’s most high profile works, modern and classic, from Stieg Larsson’s blockbuster trilogy to Tolstoy’s War And Peace. Peter’s greatest skill lies in his ability to turn his hand to any literary work, extracting the core of the subject and representing it graphically and with thoroughly considered intent – he seems never to produce a jacket without having first digested the entirety of the work’s subject and its social and historical contexts.
Rather wonderfully he also keeps an incredibly detailed blog in which he chronicles the research and thought processes behind his work, allowing bibliophiles and aesthetes alike the chance to get under the skin of their favourite printed works. Indicative of his regular, high quality content is this discussion of the numerous cover designs for Nabokov’s infamous Lolita in which he debates the role of the book jacket designer in their interpretation and presentation of a literary work – he then went on to redesign the cover of Lolita with these considerations in mind. Pure process porn.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant