It’s a relief to put names to projects and right now I’m feeling the same sense of euphoria as yesterday when the change in my pocket matched the price of a white chocolate kitkat exactly. Raw Color, an Eindhoven-based studio consisting of one Daniera ter Haar and one Christoph Brach, are responsible for a number of impossibly great projects and collaborations that I’ve seen spread out across the ether in a beguiling one-image-wins-prizes sort of way.
There is the photo essay commissioned by Nowness with Martin Creed – a celebration of balancing food stuffs that appear on the menu of Pierre Gagnaire’s Sketch restaurant – the temporary, multiple-exposure recreation of trees with Mkgk, the contiguous paper still life constructs, wonderfully suggestive photoshoot for Dutch Invertuals, and, most recently, Cryptographer & Encoded Textiles. With multiple experts to help them realise it, Raw Color created a bleach printer that would draw out a custom code in place of your regular alphabet in an ever-changing pattern onto lengths of fabric. When concluded, the piece literally becomes part of the furniture (or accessory?) and suddenly the digital, intangible language is made real – and in tasteful geometrics!
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- August Diary: where to go and what to see
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale