It’s a relief to put names to projects and right now I’m feeling the same sense of euphoria as yesterday when the change in my pocket matched the price of a white chocolate kitkat exactly. Raw Color, an Eindhoven-based studio consisting of one Daniera ter Haar and one Christoph Brach, are responsible for a number of impossibly great projects and collaborations that I’ve seen spread out across the ether in a beguiling one-image-wins-prizes sort of way.
There is the photo essay commissioned by Nowness with Martin Creed – a celebration of balancing food stuffs that appear on the menu of Pierre Gagnaire’s Sketch restaurant – the temporary, multiple-exposure recreation of trees with Mkgk, the contiguous paper still life constructs, wonderfully suggestive photoshoot for Dutch Invertuals, and, most recently, Cryptographer & Encoded Textiles. With multiple experts to help them realise it, Raw Color created a bleach printer that would draw out a custom code in place of your regular alphabet in an ever-changing pattern onto lengths of fabric. When concluded, the piece literally becomes part of the furniture (or accessory?) and suddenly the digital, intangible language is made real – and in tasteful geometrics!
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages