Sabina Baumann has been making incredible work since before I was even born, embarking on her artistic career in 1987. Since then she’s mastered pretty much every medium out there, from elaborate sculptural processes and finessed ceramic work to scratchy crayon compositions and highly detailed pencil sketches. All of her creations have a surrealist flavour, transplanting iconic imagery and objects into ambiguous landscapes that combine to form highly anachronistic works, devoid of time and place.
At the centre of Sabina’s work is a preoccupation with the ubiquity of everyday stereotypes – the permeation of assigned roles and expectations into the collective consciousness, particularly those relating to sexuality and gender. By removing objects and images from their traditional place and heaping them into homogenous bundles or displaying them in fresh environments Sabina hopes to force us to appreciate people and objects by their own individual merits, rather than defaulting to our own staid world views.
Sabina’s new zine Finger aus Licht has just been released through Nieves and is definitely worth getting hold of if you like what you see here.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations