Sabina Baumann has been making incredible work since before I was even born, embarking on her artistic career in 1987. Since then she’s mastered pretty much every medium out there, from elaborate sculptural processes and finessed ceramic work to scratchy crayon compositions and highly detailed pencil sketches. All of her creations have a surrealist flavour, transplanting iconic imagery and objects into ambiguous landscapes that combine to form highly anachronistic works, devoid of time and place.
At the centre of Sabina’s work is a preoccupation with the ubiquity of everyday stereotypes – the permeation of assigned roles and expectations into the collective consciousness, particularly those relating to sexuality and gender. By removing objects and images from their traditional place and heaping them into homogenous bundles or displaying them in fresh environments Sabina hopes to force us to appreciate people and objects by their own individual merits, rather than defaulting to our own staid world views.
Sabina’s new zine Finger aus Licht has just been released through Nieves and is definitely worth getting hold of if you like what you see here.
- Vanguards magazine explores Scotland's undiscovered creative treasure
- Yoko Yuki takes us on a bizarre jaunt into town in this kaleidoscopic animation
- Director Nick Ahlmark captures the thrills of night riding for Vice and Samsung
- Marion Jdanoff's skillful screen prints and books are packed with vibrancy
- Illustrator Zoë Taylor’s heroine escapes a party through clichéd melodrama and sporadic linework
- Björk Vulnicura: inside the creation of the kafkaesque headpieces by James Merry and Neri Oxman
- Airbnb launches its own in-house design studio, Samara
- Subway unveils redesigned logo and new symbol
- Neubau introduces its latest immaculately minimal typeface, NB Akademie
- PES creates an epic scale, long-exposure stop motion film for Honda
- Rio Olympics 2016: the creative projects inspired by the Games
- Erin M Riley’s hand-woven tapestries re-contextualise online pornography (NSFW)