SALT is a cultural institution in Istanbul that merges a contemporary art space, architecture and design gallery and a scholarly archive; designed to promote research and experimental thinking across art and design. Straightforward enough, but how do you go about branding an institution that operates in a constantly shifting and evolving landscape and aims to promote a diverse range of? The idea of a permanent static identity just doesn’t seem to fit.
That’s the thinking behind Project Projects’ ongoing identity for SALT, for which they invite quarterly contributors to manipulate and reinterpret Kraliçe, a custom typeface that serves as the institute’s sole identity. There is no logo. Thus far the list of contributors includes Sulki & Min, Dries Wiewauters and Thirst, with the latest iteration coming from ECAL student Anna Bitzer.
Bitzer’s manipulation of Kraliçe takes the form of a custom algorithm that hacks OpenType scripting to display different iterations of the institution’s name. The results are remarkably effective, maintaining the coherence of the original typeface but bastardising it with glitches in the letterforms, contained neatly within the cap height. Check back in in three months time to see what SALT’s ever-changing face looks like mid-2013.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting