SALT is a cultural institution in Istanbul that merges a contemporary art space, architecture and design gallery and a scholarly archive; designed to promote research and experimental thinking across art and design. Straightforward enough, but how do you go about branding an institution that operates in a constantly shifting and evolving landscape and aims to promote a diverse range of? The idea of a permanent static identity just doesn’t seem to fit.
That’s the thinking behind Project Projects’ ongoing identity for SALT, for which they invite quarterly contributors to manipulate and reinterpret Kraliçe, a custom typeface that serves as the institute’s sole identity. There is no logo. Thus far the list of contributors includes Sulki & Min, Dries Wiewauters and Thirst, with the latest iteration coming from ECAL student Anna Bitzer.
Bitzer’s manipulation of Kraliçe takes the form of a custom algorithm that hacks OpenType scripting to display different iterations of the institution’s name. The results are remarkably effective, maintaining the coherence of the original typeface but bastardising it with glitches in the letterforms, contained neatly within the cap height. Check back in in three months time to see what SALT’s ever-changing face looks like mid-2013.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos