For a while our studio was centred around a dartboard and the daily doses of arrow-based psychodrama gave us a new rhythm to our working lives. For some studios it’s ping-pong, for others it’s table football but these kinds of activities unite work-colleagues by playing them off against each other, and act as a good valve through which to release creative tensions.
Creative consultancy Purpose is no different, and for them like us their vice is darts. But not content with informal matches, they have a hotly-contested league, and to mark this year’s showpiece designer Sean Rees decided to create a bespoke typeface inspired by the dartboard and a series of posters to help ramp up the anticipation.
“For a long time I’ve admired the character of the wire numbers surrounding our studio dartboard,” he said. "There’s something about the physicality of the bent-wire, ugly yet beautiful, that’s very appealing. Maybe the hours spent playing in front of it has burnt them into my retina.
“The characters reflect the quirks of the wire numbers – a single monoline completes each character, accompanied by a ‘hanging-line’ wire further reflecting the dart board.”
We like this typeface a lot and we have a huge amount of respect for any studio which takes darts as seriously as this, so this is pretty much a bullseye as far as we’re concerned.
- Get your pout on, it's Valentine's weekend, and it's the Best of the Web
- Moby Digg uses basic colours and shapes for photo exhibition identity
- From celebs to cleaners, Maxi Cohen photographs ladies’ rooms around the world
- Seoul-based illustrator Yeon Ji Kang's beautifully thick-limbed ballerinas
- Roses at the ready, our round-up of the best Valentine’s Day ideas from the creative world
- First Dates for those who create: two-thirds of Nous Vous on their special three-way relationship
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016