That Nick Knight is very a busy chap. Since beginning his career in 1982 with his trailblazing book Skinheads whilst still studying in Bournemouth, he has shot album artwork for the David Bowie, Björk and Lady Gaga, won awards for his editorial work for i-D, Vogue, The Face, Dazed and Confused and W Magazine, directed music videos, curated a retrospective, produced books and has been awarded an OBE in recognition of his services to art.
In late 2000 he launched SHOWstudio, a pioneering fashion broadcasting website which looks to push the boundaries of online communication through film, and in the latest insight to the way his mind works he has made a Pinterest site through to which to share incredible images made almost accidentally as part of his creative process. He explains: "When working on the post production of imagery and films, I frequently see the most beautiful and exciting imagery that is a technical byproduct of the final image. A process image, never intended to be seen. Often it is in these “mistakes” I am able to explore and pursue visual paths that were previously hidden." The strange images which result are fascinating in their insight, providing a transparency to Nicks work which is rarely seen in the fashion industry. The word “innovation” has never been more appropriate.
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot by Jake Michaels in Tijuana
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg celebrated in new monograph
- Ronni Campana's photographic collection of badly repaired cars
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)