That Nick Knight is very a busy chap. Since beginning his career in 1982 with his trailblazing book Skinheads whilst still studying in Bournemouth, he has shot album artwork for the David Bowie, Björk and Lady Gaga, won awards for his editorial work for i-D, Vogue, The Face, Dazed and Confused and W Magazine, directed music videos, curated a retrospective, produced books and has been awarded an OBE in recognition of his services to art.
In late 2000 he launched SHOWstudio, a pioneering fashion broadcasting website which looks to push the boundaries of online communication through film, and in the latest insight to the way his mind works he has made a Pinterest site through to which to share incredible images made almost accidentally as part of his creative process. He explains: "When working on the post production of imagery and films, I frequently see the most beautiful and exciting imagery that is a technical byproduct of the final image. A process image, never intended to be seen. Often it is in these “mistakes” I am able to explore and pursue visual paths that were previously hidden." The strange images which result are fascinating in their insight, providing a transparency to Nicks work which is rarely seen in the fashion industry. The word “innovation” has never been more appropriate.
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know