That Nick Knight is very a busy chap. Since beginning his career in 1982 with his trailblazing book Skinheads whilst still studying in Bournemouth, he has shot album artwork for the David Bowie, Björk and Lady Gaga, won awards for his editorial work for i-D, Vogue, The Face, Dazed and Confused and W Magazine, directed music videos, curated a retrospective, produced books and has been awarded an OBE in recognition of his services to art.
In late 2000 he launched SHOWstudio, a pioneering fashion broadcasting website which looks to push the boundaries of online communication through film, and in the latest insight to the way his mind works he has made a Pinterest site through to which to share incredible images made almost accidentally as part of his creative process. He explains: "When working on the post production of imagery and films, I frequently see the most beautiful and exciting imagery that is a technical byproduct of the final image. A process image, never intended to be seen. Often it is in these “mistakes” I am able to explore and pursue visual paths that were previously hidden." The strange images which result are fascinating in their insight, providing a transparency to Nicks work which is rarely seen in the fashion industry. The word “innovation” has never been more appropriate.
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Considered, understated but experimental work from Berlin studio Tim+Tim
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Unusual perspectives on imagined architectures by Atelier Olschinsky
- Photographing the migrant crisis with a focus on people, not sensationalism
- What are creatives' favourite words?
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- Printed Pages SS16 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints and more!
- Rome-based Andrea Chronopoulos’ illustrations are quirky and a little bit cheeky
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled