That Nick Knight is very a busy chap. Since beginning his career in 1982 with his trailblazing book Skinheads whilst still studying in Bournemouth, he has shot album artwork for the David Bowie, Björk and Lady Gaga, won awards for his editorial work for i-D, Vogue, The Face, Dazed and Confused and W Magazine, directed music videos, curated a retrospective, produced books and has been awarded an OBE in recognition of his services to art.
In late 2000 he launched SHOWstudio, a pioneering fashion broadcasting website which looks to push the boundaries of online communication through film, and in the latest insight to the way his mind works he has made a Pinterest site through to which to share incredible images made almost accidentally as part of his creative process. He explains: "When working on the post production of imagery and films, I frequently see the most beautiful and exciting imagery that is a technical byproduct of the final image. A process image, never intended to be seen. Often it is in these “mistakes” I am able to explore and pursue visual paths that were previously hidden." The strange images which result are fascinating in their insight, providing a transparency to Nicks work which is rarely seen in the fashion industry. The word “innovation” has never been more appropriate.
- TFI the weekend! Here's the Best of the Web
- “Legs eleven, droopy drawers, dirty knees”: A clock that uses bingo calls instead of numbers
- Great new work for The New York Times and Bloomberg Businessweek from Oscar Bolton Green
- Dots, blocks and fades layered up in multifaceted exhibition identity for The Hague’s Royal Academy
- Patty Carroll’s bizarre photos hide women in chaotic, hand-built scenes
- Dougal Wilson’s Morris Dancing-heavy first music video in six years
- An insight into The Guardian’s newly released brand guidelines
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Japanese artist Tatsuro Kiuchi is back with more beautifully finished illustrations