That Nick Knight is very a busy chap. Since beginning his career in 1982 with his trailblazing book Skinheads whilst still studying in Bournemouth, he has shot album artwork for the David Bowie, Björk and Lady Gaga, won awards for his editorial work for i-D, Vogue, The Face, Dazed and Confused and W Magazine, directed music videos, curated a retrospective, produced books and has been awarded an OBE in recognition of his services to art.
In late 2000 he launched SHOWstudio, a pioneering fashion broadcasting website which looks to push the boundaries of online communication through film, and in the latest insight to the way his mind works he has made a Pinterest site through to which to share incredible images made almost accidentally as part of his creative process. He explains: "When working on the post production of imagery and films, I frequently see the most beautiful and exciting imagery that is a technical byproduct of the final image. A process image, never intended to be seen. Often it is in these “mistakes” I am able to explore and pursue visual paths that were previously hidden." The strange images which result are fascinating in their insight, providing a transparency to Nicks work which is rarely seen in the fashion industry. The word “innovation” has never been more appropriate.
- Bow down witches, it's a Best of the (cob)Web Halloween special!
- Photographer Philippe Chancel captures North Korea’s intensely choreographed ceremonies
- From a family-run “famzine” to a 30p grime mag, it's October's Things
- Wellcome Collection publishes book of early infographics, charts and diagrams for organising nature
- Sophie Koko Gate, an animator with immense illustrative skill
- Artist and illustrator Jamie Johnson's gently surreal compositions
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design