Well rip up your holiday plans and cancel that appointment with the travel agent (old school) because if you don’t want to visit Iceland after seeing these then there’s something wrong. Very wrong.
The news that Siggi Eggertsson had updated his website got us all a-flutter and with very good reason as it turns out. There’s plenty to enjoy but the stand-out work for us were these illustrations for Icelandic bank Landsbankinn. They’re dynamic, colourful and vibrant as you’d expect if you’re at all familiar with Siggi’s stuff, but what’s really outstanding about them is the variety of environments he recreates with the same flair. It doesn’t matter if it’s a waterfall, a factory, a port, a gay pride parade, a farm or an office building, Siggi’s illustrations are brimful of impressionistic character.
Banks aren’t the most popular institutions these days but maybe after seeing these a few more will follow their Icelandic counterpart’s lead and get Siggi to work his loveable magic for them too.
And if you really needed any more convincing that Siggi’s a creative at the top of his game, his identity for this year’s Reykjavik Arts Festival and his Phillip Glass cover for The Village Voice should seal the deal.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting